Doctor Areilza Park

The park was designed by Emiliano Pagazaurtundua in 1913. It was constructed on a beautiful sandbank. The waves were coming to the feet of the cliff. It is a botanical garden that recreates the nature. In it there are exotic species, bananas and coniferous trees.

It was designed with all luxury and detail to fulfil the desire of ostentation of the bourgeoisie of Bilbao in the beginning of the 20th century, which had turned Portugalete into a summer resort. From the stately homes by the stairs they acceded to the beach. Today, these stairs, connect Doctor Areilza Park with Ellacuría Park, above the ancient Cliff.