Tide Gaude - Iron Wharf

Tide Gaude

Having appreciated the magnificence of this iron giant, turn to the Churruca Wharf where you will find the Zunzunegui, Olaso, Palacios, Balparda, Vicuña and Gandarias mansions, superb buildings from the end of the 19th century.

The Tide gaude can be found at the end of the Wharf. It was built in Paris and installed here by the Board of Works of the Port in 1883. It is a nautical instrument for measuring the depth of the river, recording the rise and fall of the water with the tides, information that helped vessels to navigate the river. Today it is a decorative element on the way to the Iron Wharf (Muelle de Hierro).

Location

The Iron Wharf

The Iron Wharf, a prolongation of the New Wharf and the work of engineer Evaristo Churruca, was created to solve the obstacle for navigation implied by the sand bar that blocked the mouth of the Nervion. Work began in 1881 and was completed in 1887.

It is 800 metres long, the first 600 metres of which were built with an iron framework and the last 200, in stone. If we walk to the lighthouse, at the end of the Iron wharf, we can enjoy spectacular views of the Bay, the estuary and its Bridge,…

Turn back towards the Hanging Bridge, and take in the sea breeze and scent from the estuary. We are now heading towards the oldest part of the town and we arrived to Doctor Areilza park.


Location